2021 SENIORS ONLY: Please see MHDE's changes to the A+ Program Requirements due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The A+ Scholarship Program provides scholarship funds to eligible graduates of Brentwood High School who attend a participating public community college or vocational/technical school, or certain private two-year vocational/technical schools. The scholarship will reimburse the unpaid balance of a student's tuition and general fees after all available, non-loan federal financial assistance has been applied. Additionally, some four-year institutions may offer financial incentives for students who meet A+ criteria.
The primary goal of the A+ Scholarship Program is to help a student take responsibility of their education. Students must EARN the A+ Scholarship. While updates will be sent home, it is ultimately the student's responsibility to continually verify that they are eligible for the program, turn in all of volunteer hour sheets, and completed all requirements for eligibility.
Requirements for the A+ Program are as follows:
- Be a US Citizen or permanent resident
- Attend a designated A+ high school for 2 years prior to graduation.* ▪ Enter into a written agreement with your high school prior to graduation; students must complete their written agreement on or before the last day of finals the first semester of senior year.
- Graduate with a cumulative unweighted, unrounded grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Have at least a 95% attendance record overall for grades 9-12; attendance rates will not be rounded.
- Perform at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring, of which up to 25% may include job shadowing prior to graduation.
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the unlawful use of drugs and/or alcohol while in grades 9-12.**
- Achieve a score of proficient or advanced on the official Algebra I end-of-course exam or a higher level DESE approved end-of-course exam in the field of mathematics. Students who meet all of the eligibility requirements except the end of course exam requirement may establish eligibility by achieving a combined ACT math subscore and high school GPA in accordance with the scale determined by the Missouri Department of Higher Education.
All other questions can be found on the Missouri Department of Higher Education website.
*Students who are active duty military dependents and students who are dependents of retired military personnel who relocated to Missouri within one year of the date of retirement from active duty are excused from this provision if the student attends a designated A+ school in the school year immediately preceding graduation and has met all other eligibility requirements.
**Students may not have more than 10 total days of in- or out-of-school suspension throughout high school in order to meet the “good citizenship” requirement.